Ashley-McCray-Why-I-Play-Womens-Tackle-Football

Why I Play Women’s Tackle Football: Ashley McCray

Why do we give up to 20 hours a week in addition to our regular jobs and family lives to play a sport we don’t get paid to play?

Why do we risk injury, give up hours of sleep, give up our lives, to dig our hands into the dirt and play tackle football?

WR & DB Ashley McCray, 2-year veteran of the Majestics and a registered nurse at Seattle Children’s Hospital in the Emergency Department, articulates it better than just about anyone.

ASHLEY, WHY DO YOU PLAY TACKLE FOOTBALL?

3 things: drive, passion and a sense of belonging. Football not only challenges me physically, but mentally and emotionally.

It continuously pushes me to be positive and to take care of my body and mind.

I am inspired and driven to become more than just a better athlete, but also a better teammate, friend, and family member.WR-Ashley-McCray-and-Majestics-at-Pride-Parade

Being a football player, has given me a passion that is set apart from other things I have done in life. It provides a constant rush and lights a fire within me to push harder and be better each time I step on the field.

“The field feels like home. The team is my family and I really feel like this is where I belong.”

WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO BE THE BEST YOU?

Aside from football, I would say just my own personal progress in life inspires me to do better and better every day.

WR-Ashley-McCray-receiver-catchI’ve become healthier. I have established amazing relationships and even strengthened existing ones.

Also, just seeing how the women’s football league has progressed and made waves is motivating.

When I tell younger athletes or even adults that I play, most of the reactions I receive are incredible. They admire the fact that women suit up and hit and play like the men do.

Also, knowing we are role models for the younger girls who aspire to play, is moving and inspiring in itself.

OUT OF ALL THE POSITIONS YOU PLAY, WHICH IS YOUR FAVORITE AND WHY?

I would say it’s a tie between Safety and Special teams. Both can be huge in changing a game and shifting the momentum. It keeps everyone fired up when these things happen and it feels amazing.

WHO’S YOUR FAVORITE PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE?

Troy Polamalu. On and off the field, he is classy and a great role model. Unfortunately he is retired, but he was so much fun to watch on the field.

Troy-Polamalu-football
Photo credit: fansided.com

He was fast, hard hitting, and all over the place making crazy, big plays! There’s a funny saying I saw on the internet about him that explains it perfectly “They say 70% of Earth is covered by water and the other 30% is covered by Polamalu.

SUPPORT ASHLEY & HER FOOTBALL FAMILY

Come out to our last regular season home game against the Everett Reign on May 27 at 6 PM! You can get tickets at the gate or online right here.

As a women’s football team, we rely on fans like you to invite as many of your friends as you can to come out and support our team. We need you, Seattle!

If you’d like to hear more of these player stories or receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe to our email list here.

Can’t wait to see you on 5/27!

Until next time, Majestics fans.

Ashley-McCray-and-Mykaleen-Hiura-womens-football